MY EV , 85 electric fiero

MY EV , 85 electric fiero
A conversion of a gas engine powered car to 100% plug in electric.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Batteries and more.

So besides getting my batteries I also got the cable ends from online today and started wiring the batteries. Then I got interrupted ...WORK.. only got up to 50 volts but that is fine. I have a long weekend and I think the motor controller is here. Dad said that UPS called and they needed someone to sign for a package. The motor should be too heavy for UPS and the only other thing I need is a motor controller. So hopefully there is a motor controller there. This is the heater core I built ... the box is the same size as the original and the two right angles sticking off are the same size as the ranks on the side of the original heater core ... two springs clips just hold it tight against the old tanks. this fits amazingly well...
I decided to cave in and put a aux battery for the 12 v system. There was allot to work around without it. Maybe some day I will do it but for now a lawnmower battery will do the job and save weight. the entire automotive system only draws 32A with headlights, wipers, brakes, and rear window defogger.
I did decide to save a little money and make some crimpers for the cable I bought a pair of bolt cutters from harbor freight and a set of sockets for splined shaft... They were on sale and looked right.
You will need a torch to cut the hole and a grinder to shape it ... You will never get a perfect crimp with these ... I mean the crimp is very functional but the caws squeeze first in the back then finish in the front so any pinching of the material seems to squeeze out the front. Me and dad cut one open and it is great crimp... The only thing that I have seen that does a better job is my Parker hose crimper at work but I wasn't gonna drag 30 pieces of cable in there and crimp 60 times on breaks and lunches. If I had a to do it again I think I would of just went with a 6 sided socket in the jaws. I think It would work just as good.
Oh yea. The front suspension... Lets just say if there was a fight between batteries and frame... Batteries won. Now is gonna be when I find out If my spring spacers do the trick or if I need to invest in some air shocks.
I have also added the DC/DC converter. One thing I have found is that the DC/DC converter draws from the 12 v battery if it hasn't been hooked up to 120v yet. Just a little heads up.

No comments: