MY EV , 85 electric fiero

MY EV , 85 electric fiero
A conversion of a gas engine powered car to 100% plug in electric.

Friday, July 25, 2008

How much, how far and how fast? People want to know.

These seem to be the first questions out of everyones mouth when I tell them I am making a electric car.

How Far ?
The short answer: 60 miles
The long answer: Wind resistance Is the killer when it comes to range. The faster you go the more energy it takes to push the car per mile. So I have read of people with my configuration getting 45miles at 65mph.. or up to 72 miles under 40.

How Fast ?
The short answer: 80+ (see above)
The Long answer: Horse power/ weight of vehicle determins the work that the motor is doing. Also my motor controler is caped at 500A output. Motors have continus rateings. They might say It can produse this much HP for this much time then it will start to overheat. So some electrics can be quite fast for short peorids of time. But mine wont. 65 across town and back will be fine for me.

How much ?
Short: so far for me 6k+ i stll need a charger
Long:Inital vehicle quality. Start with a lemon u get get a lemon. Start with a nice car u will have a nice car( outside). Most dc conversions can be done for 7k+. There are many options that can make a price go up. And rember ..that old junker still needs tires and brakes and other love like HEADLIGHTS!Some people ask me if that is worth it . 60$ in gas a week. From what I can tell buy other peoples results this same driving to and from work should cost me 25$ a month whit a electric vehicle. So I will be saving 2820 a year in gas. ( check my math 52weeksx60 minus 300 in electricity.) If it costs 10k it will pay for itself in 3.54 years. Yes i will need another battery pack in 3-4 years at 1800$ but If i need a new one at 3.5years then my car payed for itself before it needed a new battery pack.So I would have to say that the Final cost is 0.00$ Compared to Gas!

Another question is Why ? The Devil ! pictured here.

Does this to me once a week!

And I am tired of it ... Not that I am getting rid of it. I just want options :). And I am a Geek at heart.

No comments: