MY EV , 85 electric fiero

MY EV , 85 electric fiero
A conversion of a gas engine powered car to 100% plug in electric.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I saved $

Yesterday I drove to work. I went 32.5 total. This does not include the few hot laps around the work parking lot to show it off. When I got to work I pulled out the old hydrometer. It said 70% left in the pack. Sigh of relief. Everything I read on the internet was true. Then when I returned home I had 40% remaining when I pulled in the garage. The 2nd half of the trip is a bit longer due to eating lunch. A little less than I expected but I am not a good ev driver yet. The hot laps in the parking lot didn't help the pack I am sure. Today I am thinking I will do better but Adam just called and wants lunch :) so who knows where that will be at. well at least I save a guesstimated $8.57. That is $60 a week in gas divided buy 7.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a rocking gear/volt head!
Do you know how many kWh it takes to charge your pack after you drive? In Ohio it's 1.43 lbs of CO2 per/kWh. Gas is about 20 lbs/gallon. You're probably saving some carbon dioxide, but I'm curious how much.

Larry said...

I am not sure about the actual co2 saving from coal fired power. Everything I have read though says that Even with energy from coal it is a much smaller amount than oil.. I will try to find exact #'s.

Unknown said...

Yeah, if you figure out how many kilowatt hours it takes to charge the pack, you learn a lot about your electric costs, and your carbon dioxide savings. great job again man.

Larry said...

Only problem is I don't have a meter on the charger to give me the usage. there are little ones that give you usage for 120v but none for 240 volt chargers. I am looking for a home electric meter out there somewhere that I can put in line of charger and read that. I could read my home meter but it would give me the fridge and alarm clock and whatever seems to have a drain on my electric bill. From what I have read It should only cost me 25$ a month to charge the car with my usage. Compared to the $260 in gas I was spending. If the co2 is the same at least the $ is different. And it is American grown coal. :) So if co2 is the same I am not helping anyone but me. But if you or someone that lives in a nuclear powered area this would be a great ++ to the environment and pocket.

Unknown said...

You're right that the bill is an indirect measure. At $0.14 cents per kwh, $25/month is 178 kWh. 178 * 1.43 lbs CO2/kwh is 255 lbs CO2/ month or about the same as 12.75 gallons of gas. The difference between the gas you used to use and and 12.75 (multiplied by 20) would be your CO2 savings.

At 3.50/gal, $260 is ~74 gallons, so your gas equivalent savings is ~61 gallons, or 1220 lbs/month. If you were to measure the volume of that much c02, it's about 70578 gallons of co2 at atmospheric pressure. How about them apples?

OF course, if you can figure your direct power usage this number will be more solid.