MY EV , 85 electric fiero

MY EV , 85 electric fiero
A conversion of a gas engine powered car to 100% plug in electric.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Wheels a turning! well kinda



Motor Is in. Well Kinda Dad and I put the motor onto the transmission. The bolts that hold the pressure plate on are fragile. Dad had much patience as I broke 2 and extracted them. I am normally very cautious and don't break things but this seemed to be one of those days. So after finding 2 metric bolts to replace the two broken ones I had the entire clutch assembled. After a bit of wiggling it around It slid onto the shaft then in to meet the transmission. I made the jumper wire.
Then I pulled up the suspension a bit to get if off the frame and put 12 v to it it went the wrong way!.. well the non thinker swamped the leads on the battery and IT Still WENT THE WRONG WAY!.. so then I thought to my self. Oh yea when I changed the polarity on the fields i also changed it on the armature. Then I thought to myself. What gear am i in ... Sure enough it was reverse and I had it hooked up correctly.
Now onto the bad news. So the other day when I dropped the transmission I decided to check the level in it ... It was low ... and the fluid was red...Further investigation found the fill with 5w30 oil tab on the fill plug. Well after asking the auto zone guy what type and how much he confirmed it was 3qt of 5w30. Wonder why I had auto transmission fluid in it. I didn't do it but I hope everything is fine and it hasn't been in there for years.
So I fill it to the fill plug and bolt it all back up and put it in the car. I get it all in there and It starts leaking the oil I just put in. Oh great the CV shaft I removed for the Motor adapter tore up the seal. Then I inspected and found that both seals were leaking. Even the one I didn't remove. Oh great. So I probably will drop out the sub frame again and replace both seals. More work! But I don't have a motor controller yet any ways.

No comments: